Zucchini, Carrot & Walnut Cupcake
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Muffin, Cupcake, Snacks, Lunchbox
Serves: 12 large cupcakes
- 1 c wholemeal flour (see GF alternative below)
- ¾ c spelt flour
- ½ c ground linseed (also known as flaxmeal)
- ¼ c coconut sugar (optional)
- 2 t baking soda
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1 t mixed spice
- ¾ c milk (or almond milk)
- 2 banana’s, mashed
- 2 T pure maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c grated zucchini
- 1 c grated carrot
- ½ c chopped walnuts (omit if nut free)
Gluten free alternative
- Replace wholemeal flour with 1 c quinoa flour
- Replace spelt flour with ¾ c almond flour
- Add 1 t guar gum
Icing (optional) Omit if dairy free
- 125gm cream cheese, softened
- rind of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- ½ t vanilla extract
- 1 T pure maple syrup
- walnut pieces (omit if nut free)
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tray with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, add the flours, linseed, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and mixed spice and mix evenly.
- In as separate bowl, stir together the milk, mashed banana’s, maple syrup, and vanilla until well combined.
- Mix the two bowls and stir gently until just combined.
- Stir in the grated zucchini, carrots and walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffins trays and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the muffin trays for 5-10 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely. Ice once completely cool.
- To make the icing, using a fork or hand blender, blend all the ingredients until smooth. Place a spoonful on the top of each muffin, finishing off with some grated lemon zest and a walnut piece.
Leave A Comment