Prune, Banana & Walnut Loaf
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 12 slices
- 1 c prunes, roughly chopped
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ c boiling water
- 2 bananas
- 50gm butter, softened
- ⅓ c coconut sugar
- 1 t vanilla essence
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c spelt flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t ground mixed spice
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 c wholemeal flour
- 1 c walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine the prunes, baking soda and boiling water in a bowl. Soak for 5 minutes.
- Mash the bananas in a food processor and add the prunes (undrained) and process until finely chopped. Alternatively, mash both with a fork.
- Cream the butter, coconut sugar and vanilla essence together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix to combine.
- Sift in the spelt flour, baking powder and spices. Add the wholemeal flour, along with the prune and banana mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into the lined loaf tin and roughly smooth out the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. (Keep an eye on it during cooking and if the top is too brown, place a small piece of tinfoil over the top to prevent burning).
- Allow to stand in the loaf tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Gluten Free alternative: Replace the spelt flour and wholemeal flour with 1 c almond flour and 1 c quinoa flour. Add an additional 1 t guar gum.
Dairy free alternative: Replace the butter with coconut oil (I use Tanna Farms)
Nut free alternative: Omit the walnuts
Lovely, didn’t have enough prunes so made up the quantity with dates, still worked very well…. family can’t stop eating it!
Yay Pam, so pleased it was so well received! I’ve got another Kitchen Club starting on the 24th Oct with whole new recipes so hopefully I might see you on board again. x
[…] & Apple Muffins Prune, Banana & Walnut Loaf Nut Free Protein Balls Kumara, Lentil & Coconut Soup Healthy […]