Prune, Banana & Walnut Loaf
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 12 slices
- 1 c prunes, roughly chopped
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ c boiling water
- 2 bananas
- 50gm butter, softened
- ⅓ c coconut sugar
- 1 t vanilla essence
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c spelt flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t ground mixed spice
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 c wholemeal flour
- 1 c walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine the prunes, baking soda and boiling water in a bowl. Soak for 5 minutes.
- Mash the bananas in a food processor and add the prunes (undrained) and process until finely chopped. Alternatively, mash both with a fork.
- Cream the butter, coconut sugar and vanilla essence together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix to combine.
- Sift in the spelt flour, baking powder and spices. Add the wholemeal flour, along with the prune and banana mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into the lined loaf tin and roughly smooth out the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. (Keep an eye on it during cooking and if the top is too brown, place a small piece of tinfoil over the top to prevent burning).
- Allow to stand in the loaf tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Gluten Free alternative: Replace the spelt flour and wholemeal flour with 1 c almond flour and 1 c quinoa flour. Add an additional 1 t guar gum.
Dairy free alternative: Replace the butter with coconut oil (I use Tanna Farms)
Nut free alternative: Omit the walnuts