Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Salad
This Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Salad is simply the best, using fresh and seasonal flavours, and by poaching the chicken, it locks in the moisture. Perfect for a warm summers evening.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 5-6 serves
- 2 chicken breasts, free range if possible
- 5cm ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, very thinly sliced
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 c water
- 2 T lime juice
- 2 T coconut sugar
- 1 T fish sauce
- 200g vermicelli noodles, or pad thai noodles
- ½ lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1 c coriander leaves
- 1 c mint leaves
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- ½ c roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- lime wedges
- extra mint leaves
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, thinly sliced lengthways, optional
- To make the Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Salad, combine the chicken, ginger, lemon grass, coconut milk, water, coconut sugar, fish sauce and lime juice in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Cover and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low simmer and cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Remove from heat. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Once cooled, remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Strain the liquid and set aside.
- Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes to soften. Drain well.
- Combine chicken, noodles, lettuce, carrot, red pepper, coriander, mint and lime leaves. Divide among serving plates, drizzle with the dressing and finish off with a sprinkle of toasted cashews, extra mint leaves, chilli and lime wedges.
For other delicious recipes for the whole family for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts and sweet treats, check out the RECIPES section.
- Are you feeling confused, overwhelmed, and frustrated about what to eat? Stuck on the cravings roller coaster and need some practical advice to get you on the right track? Grab my brand new printable eBook, What Should I Eat? - your guide to start living healthier, making better choices, and feeling more satisfied. Grab your FREE eBook HERE.