This scrambled tofu is a delicious alternative to scrambled eggs for a quick lunch or a light dinner. You can basically throw any veggies in that you have in the fridge, try mushrooms, grated courgette or tomato. Tofu is made out of soya bean curd and not only is it a very economical ingredient to cook with, it's gluten free and diary free and a great source of protein for vegetarians. Very bland on it's own, but super delicious when paired with some fantastic flavours like this.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: Serves 2
- 1 T oil
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 300g firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 t cumin powder
- 1 t fresh turmeric, grated or ½ t turmeric powder
- ½ yellow & red pepper, finely chopped
- a handful of spinach, finely chopped
- 1 T tamari or soy sauce
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ c fresh coriander or parsley, finely chopped
- a spring onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- a good grinding of black pepper
- chilli flakes, optional
- nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- Before you start, drain the tofu on paper towels for 10 minutes to absorb the moisture.
- To make the scrambled tofu, in a fry pan or wok, sauté the onion and garlic in the heated oil for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the tofu and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the cumin and turmeric, fresh or powder, and stir to combine. Add the vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes until heated through but still tender.
- Finally add the tamari, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. (Interesting fact, the anti inflammatory ingredient in turmeric is called curcumin and it needs black pepper for the body to be able to absorb it so give an extra grinding of pepper for extra good health.)
- Just before serving, stir through the coriander or parsley and spring onions. Serve on whole grain toast or on it’s own.
- Optional: sprinkle with some dried chilli flakes if desired.
For more delicious recipes for the whole family, for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or sweet treats, check out the RECIPES section.