The Best Chicken & Vegetable Soup Ever
This is the best Chicken Soup ever! Throw everything in a pot and it's done and so great for cooler evenings. You can cook this with orzo or quinoa. You may choose to add it to the actual soup rather than cooking them separately to save an extra pot, but because I’m gluten free and the rest of the family isn’t, I cooked them separately to suit us all.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: Serves 5-6
- 1 T oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 T fresh grated ginger
- 1 T fresh grated turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 6 c chicken stock
- 500gm boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 T freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 t freshly chopped thyme, stems removed
- ½ t salt
- a good grinding of black pepper
- ¾ c orzo or quinoa if GF (I did ½ c orzo for the family and ¼ c quinoa for me and cooked separately)
- 1 c frozen peas
- To make the Chicken & Vegetable Soup, place a large pot over medium high heat and add in oil. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, carrots and celery; cook for a few minutes until onion becomes translucent.
- Next add in grated ginger and grated turmeric. Sauté for 30 seconds to let the spices cook a bit, then add in chicken stock, chicken breast, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil. You’ll want the chicken to be covered by the stock so make sure you stir them down to the bottom.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add the orzo or quinoa if cooking all together and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- If cooking separately, while the soup is cooking, cook the orzo or quinoa in a separate pot according to packet instructions. Drain.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board to shred with two forks. Add chicken back to pot then stir in frozen peas and the cooked orzo or quinoa (if cooked separately). If you find that you don't have enough liquid, feel free to add in another cup until desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Serve immediately.
For other delicious recipes suitable for the whole family, check out the RECIPES section.