Three Bean Wraps (or Tacos)
Author: Wick Nixon
Cuisine: Dinner, lunch
Serves: Serves 5
- ½ T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t ground cumin powder
- ¼ t ground cinnamon
- 400gm can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 400gm can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 400gm can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 400gm can tomato puree
- 1 T tomato paste
- ½ t salt and a good grinding of pepper
- 1-2 packets of wraps
- 1 ½ c cheese, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- finely sliced lettuce
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the cumin powder and cinnamon. Cook for one minute until fragrant.
- Add the drained black beans, red kidney beans, cannellini beans, tomato puree and tomato paste and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently to lift any extra goodness that might have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes until the flavours have combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you like to warm the wraps before serving, heat a fry pan over a medium heat and heat the wraps for 30 secs each side. Fill with the bean mixture and salad ingredients. Roll up and serve.