Banana Muffins w Variations
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Muffins, snacks, lunchboxes
- ½ c milk
- 1 T lemon juice or 1 t apple cider vinegar
- 2 very ripe large bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla essence
- ¼ c olive oil or coconut oil, melted
- 2 T slightly melted honey or pure maple syrup
- ¾ c wholemeal flour (GF flour mix below)
- ¾ c spelt flour (GF flour mix below)
- 1 t baking powder (GF if required)
- 1 t baking soda
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- ¾ c buckwheat flour to replace wholemeal flour
- ½ c almond meal to replace spelt flour
- Add ¼ c tapioca flour or arrowroot
- Optional toppings: berries (fresh or frozen) / dark chocolate drops / walnuts / pecans / fresh banana slices
- Preheat oven 180°C and prepare muffin tins with baking paper or liners.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and leave to sit while preparing the other ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Into the milk mixture, add the mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla essence, olive oil and honey (or pure maple syrup) and stir well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and gently mix until just combined.
- Spoon/pour mixture into lined muffin tins.
- Top with your choice of a few berries, nuts, dark chocolate drops or banana slices (if using).
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Cool on a wire rack.