Raw Beetroot Coconut Slice
Beetroot has a huge array of health benefits, especially raw. Combining it with a selection of nuts and seeds, it's the perfect guilt free treat to have in the fridge for when those sugar cravings appear or you get the snack attacks! If you want to make it even more healthy, leave off the icing (but it's divine with it on!). This recipe is a modified take on Dr Libby's Raw Beetroot Mudcake as I've used sunflower, pumpkin seeds and almonds instead of brazil nuts which are more economical, along with the icing being completely different but I highly recommend it as it's totally divine!
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 25 pieces
- ½ c almonds
- ¼ c pumpkin seeds
- ¼ c sunflower seeds
- 1 ½ medium beetroots (or 1 large), peeled and grated
- 1 c desiccated coconut
- ¼ c cacao powder
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained
- 1 T psyllium husks
- 1 T maple syrup
- ½ c 70% dark cacao choc chips (or sugar free)
- 1 T coconut oil
- Line a 20 x 20cm slice tin with baking paper or a baking sheet.
- In a food processor, process the almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds until fine, then add the rest of the ingredients and process until well blended.
- Press mixture into prepared slice tin and press down firmly with your hands. Put in the fridge.
- For the icing, melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a small pot or microwave dish, spread over the base evenly and put back into the fridge to set, approximately 1 hour. Cut into squares and sprinkle with extra coconut if desired. Enjoy. Keep in the fridge in an airtight container.
For other delicious healthy recipes for all occasions, check them out in the recipes section on my website.