Vegetarian Bean Tortilla Boats
If you're looking for more recipes for vegetarian meals, a way to hide some veggies but still make them appealing to your kids, these are a winner! They're fun, easy and loaded with goodness. Double the mixture and serve it in wraps or tacos's the next night.
Author: Wick Nixon
- 1 T oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400gm can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 400gm can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400gm can crushed & sieved tomatoes
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 courgette, finely grated
- a pinch of chilli powder, optional, or add chilli flakes at the end
- a gooding grinding of salt and black pepper
- tortilla boats or rice/cauliflower rice
- grated cheese
- coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- sour cream
- chilli flakes, optional
- you may wish to serve with steamed veggies or salad on the side as well
- Preheat the oven to 160 C. Once the oven is heated and bean mixture cooking, warm the tortilla boats for 5-8 minutes until firm but not crunchy. Remove, set aside and turn the oven onto a high grill.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based fry pan or pot, cook the onion and garlic until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the drained beans, sieved tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and cumin powder and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and courgette, cook for a further 3-4 minutes until warmed through.
- Spoon the bean mixture evenly into the tortilla boats, sprinkle with cheese and place under the grill until melted, keeping an eye on them as they can burn quite quickly.
- Serve immediately with extra coriander and sour cream on top and salad or steamed veggies on the side if desired. For gluten free option, serve on cauliflower rice.
- For more delicious family recipes, check out the RECIPES section on my website.