Pumpkin & Chocolate Chip Muffins
These Pumpkin & Chocolate Chip muffins are quite a special muffin! When I was younger, I used to sell muffins, to my neighbours or people around my community. A friend and I also sold them at our local tennis tournament... we'd get up early, bake the muffins, play tennis and then in our breaks set off with our baskets and sell our delicious delights! 🤣 And this was the most popular variety that always used to sell like hot cakes, but it wasn't this healthy, it was loaded with sugar! Now, the thing is, my kids HATE PUMPKIN (my son gags on it!) and they ALL, even my youngest who doesn't like banana, ate these and said they were amazing... so I'm onto a winner! To this day, they still don't know they've got pumpkin in them. So, you HAVE to try them! They're so moist and perfect to double for the freezer too. Enjoy! I've also given a gluten free option as not only did I want to be able to eat them too, I know you will as well!
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 12 muffins
- 2 medium ripe banana’s, mashed
- 1 c mashed cooked pumpkin
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted or neutral oil or butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c warm milk (with 1 t baking soda dissolved)
- ¼ c coconut sugar
- 1 t vanilla essence
Dry ingredients (see below for gluten free option)
- 1 c spelt flour
- ½ c wholemeal flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t nutmeg
- ½ t ground ginger
- ¼ t ground cloves
- ¼ t salt
- ⅓ c chocolate chips, recommended 70% dark cacao
Gluten free option: Replace spelt flour and wholemeal flour with:
- ½ c almond flour
- ½ c quinoa flour
- ½ c gluten free flour
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Place muffin liners in a standard 12-muffin pan. Set aside.
- Add the wet ingredients to a large bowl: bananas, pumpkin, coconut oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Add in the milk and baking soda mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk together until just mixed, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack, and allow to cool.
- For other delicious muffins, snacks, family friendly dinners and healthy treats, check out the RECIPES section on my website.