Persimmon & Apple Crumble
This persimmon & apple crumble is a delicious warm dessert for these cooler evenings, topped with a crunchy nutty topping, perfect for showing Mum just how much you love her this Mothers Day! Serve with cream, natural yoghurt or ice cream.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: Serves 5
- 3 ripe persimmons
- 1 medium apple
- ¼ c coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 T cold water
- a pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ c rolled oats (use quinoa flakes if gluten-free)
- ½ c desiccated coconut
- ½ c ground almonds
- ½ c flour (use rice flour if gluten-free)
- ½ c coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t mixed spice
- 100gm cold butter, cubed
- a pinch of salt
- Top, tail and peel the persimmons and apple. Chop the persimmons up into medium sized chunks and the apple into small chunks.
- Place the persimmons and applies in a medium sized saucepan with the first measure of sugar, along with the water and your pinch of ground nutmeg.
- Over a low to medium heat, gently heat the fruit and cook for 10 to 12 minutes stirring occasionally till the fruit is soft and warmed through.
- While your fruit is warming, preheat your oven to 190C. Select your serving dish – I used a ceramic quiche dish but a glass casserole dish or any other suitable dish will work.
- To make the topping, place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until combined and the butter has rubbed in (you still want to retain some of the texture). Alternatively, you can use your finger tips and lightly rub in the butter and everything is evenly mixed.
- Once your fruit has finished softening, pour it into your dish and cover it with the crumble mixture. Make sure you fully cover the fruit completely.
- Put it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Take it out of the oven once the topping has browned up and crunchy.
- Allow to cool slightly for 5 minutes then serve with cream, natural yoghurt or ice cream. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
For other delicious recipes that the whole family will enjoy including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or sweet treats, head to the RECIPES section.
!If you're enjoying this recipe because you're gluten-free and haven't downloaded my 'Delicious Gluten-Free Day Recipe Guide' yet, grab it now before you forget – enjoy 5 quick and easy nutritious gluten-free recipes, including a breakfast, lunch, dinner, baking, snacks and a delicious dessert! Also includes a baking mix recipe & dairy-free alternatives for all the recipes!