Teriyaki Tofu Poke Bowls
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 5 serves
- 1 ½ blocks (340gm) firm tofu (or 5 x chicken thighs, cut into small chunks)
- 4 t minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ⅓ c low sodium soy sauce, plus 1 extra T (use GF if necessary)
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 2 T honey
- 1 T cornflour
- 1 c water
- 1 t sesame oil
- 2 T oil
- 1 ½ c brown rice or cauliflower rice – link to recipe below
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into small batons
- 1 c red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 c edamame beans, blanched in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained (can be blanched together with snow peas)
- 8 snow peas, blanched in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained
- 1 avocado, cut into slices
- sesame seeds
- Cook the brown rice according to packet instructions, or make Cauliflower Rice.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- For the teriyaki tofu, drain the tofu and dry with paper towels for 10 minutes, replacing paper towels as they become wet. Cut tofu into ½ inch thick slices, then cut into triangles. Drain off any more excess liquid if necessary.
- In a medium-sized pot, over a low heat, add 2 teaspoons ginger, 1 ½ cloves garlic, ⅓ cup soy sauce, the rice vinegar, honey, cornflour, water and ½ teaspoon sesame oil. Set aside and warm until thickened.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, heat oil over medium-high heat (you may need two fry pans if possible). Cook the tofu for 2 minutes, until golden brown and slightly crisp. Turnover and cook another 2 minutes. Once browned, spoon over the teriyaki sauce and cook for another minute or 2 on either side to coat the tofu. Remove and place onto a plate and cover to keep warm if cooking some extra.
- Note: If cooking chicken, do in the same way but just cook the chicken for a bit longer until tender.
- Once the rice or cauliflower rice is cooked, stir through the extra ginger, garlic and 1 T soy sauce and divide into each bowl, lay some tofu over the top and arrange vegetables on the side. Finish off with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.