The Best Veggie Burgers Ever!
These are the best veggie burgers ever! Loaded with hidden veggies that your kids will never even notice, they'll be a winner with everyone at the dinner table. Serve all the ingredients on the table and get the kids to build their own. You can either serve on their own or with roasted cauliflower, potato and kumara wedges or coleslaw on the side.
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Dinner
- 6 medium mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 ½ c broccoli florets
- ½ medium onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 t cumin powder
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 400gm can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 c packed spinach leaves, finely chopped
- handful fresh herbs parsley, mint or coriander
- ½ c chickpea flour
- 2 T ground linseeds (or LSA), optional
- 1 egg
- ½ t salt and a good grinding of black pepper
- 1 c cooked brown rice
- 2 T olive oil
- Bread rolls or gluten-free buns, avocado, lettuce, hummus, gherkins, tomato, cucumber, cheese and low sugar barbecue sauce or cashew cream
- To make the veggie burger patties, place the mushrooms, carrot, broccoli, onion, garlic, paprika, cumin and Worcestershire sauce in a food processor and blend until finely chopped but keeping some texture in it. Add the black beans, spinach, herbs, chickpea flour, linseeds, egg and salt and pepper and process until evenly mixed, again, retaining some texture.
- Remove the blade of the food processor or transfer the mixture into another bowl. Stir in the brown rice.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based fry pan. Form the patty mixture into round patties suitable for the size of your buns (the mixture is quite soft but it will firm up when cooked) and cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping both sides until brown.
- While cooking the patties, prepare the filling ingredients and grill the cheese on top of the buns if desired.
- To serve, put all the ingredients on the table so everyone can build their own burgers. Serve on their own or with roasted cauliflower, potato and kumara wedges or coleslaw on the side.
- For more healthy dinner recipes suitable for the whole family, check out my other recipes.
If you've enjoyed this recipe because it's gluten-free and you're after more direction with transitioning to being gluten-free, grab my FREE Swap & Stock – Your MUST HAVE Gluten-Free Pantry Guide which includes a ‘Swap Out Guide for Common Ingredients' & 'Stock Your Pantry for Gluten-Free Success' checklist - check out all the details HERE.