Smoked Chilli Barbecue Sauce
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Sauces & Condiments
Serves: Approx 4 cups
- ½ T oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 c fresh tomato pulp (blitzed with a hand blender), or canned
- 3 T tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 3 T pure maple syrup
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T worcestershire sauce
- ½ t salt
- a good grinding of black pepper
- 1 dried chipotle chilli, finely chopped (or 1 t chilli flakes)
- 1 T spring onions, finely sliced for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the onion and garlic for about five minutes, until soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and simmer for 7-10 minutes until thickened.
- Using a stick blender, blitz until smooth. Serve hot or cold. Once cool, store in the fridge in a glass jar.