Rhubarb Muffins w Coconut Flour
These Rhubarb Muffins made with coconut flour are super easy, delicious, stay moist for days and are gluten free, dairy free and can be made nut free if you avoid a couple of ingredients. Baking with coconut flour can be tricky but as long as you follow a recipe, you're good to go. Coconut flour would probably be my most favourite gluten free flour to bake with for it's flavour and the way it keeps baking moist. If you don't have any rhubarb or it's out of season, you can just swap it out with any other seasonal fruit like blueberries, passionfruit, strawberries or just have them plain. You can find coconut flour generally at supermarkets now or your local health food store or Bin Inn.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 6-8 muffins
- ¼ c coconut flour
- ½ t baking powder
- 2 T LSA, optional (omit if nut free)
- ½ t salt
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3 T coconut oil (or butter), melted (for DF, use coconut oil)
- 3 T honey, melted
- ½ t vanilla essence
- 1 c fresh rhubarb, finely sliced
- 1 T coconut sugar, or raw sugar
- ¼ t cinnamon
- slivered almonds, (omit if nut free)
- To make the Rhubarb Muffins, preheat the oven to 200° C. Prepare the muffin tins, either with patty liners or grease with butter or oil, or use a silicon muffin tray.
- In a bowl, mix the wet ingredients until evenly combined. Fold the dry ingredients in until smooth and just combined. Mix in the fresh rhubarb. Don't worry if there are some lumps in the mixture, this will smooth out while cooking.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin trays. Bake 16-18 minutes. Allow to sit in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 6-8 small muffins.
- For other delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and dessert recipes that the whole family will enjoy, check out the RECIPES section.