Pumpkin & Herb Cheesy Fritters with Salad
These pumpkin fritters are the perfect vegetarian meal that everyone will enjoy – serve with a salad or steamed veggies on the side for a delicious spring meal. The great thing, they accomodate gluten & dairy free allergies too!
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 8-10 fritters
- 1 T oil
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 ½ c sliced leeks, rinsed, or a large red onion, finely diced
- 1 c grated pumpkin
- 1 red capsicum, diced (or omit if out of season)
- 2 t ground cumin
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ c chickpea flour (or normal flour)
- ½ c grated cheese, or 2 T nutritional yeast flakes if dairy free
- a large handful of fresh parsley or basil, finely chopped, or seasonal other herbs
- ½ t salt and a good grinding of pepper
- 1 T white sesame seeds
- lettuce or spinach leaves
- cucumber slices
- cherry tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar to drizzle
- sprinkle of sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- dollop of natural yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt if dairy free)
- sprinkle of black sesame seeds, optional
- steamed veggies, optional
- To make the pumpkin fritters, in a large fry pan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté vegetables stirring often, until veggies are tender, approximately 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and chickpea flour together. Add cheese (or nutritional yeast flakes) and stir. Add in the cooked veggies, cumin, herbs and sesame seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat fry pan with some more oil over a medium heat. In batches, cook ¼ cupfuls of mixture for about 3 minutes each side, until golden, crispy and cooked through.
- Serve warm with dressed salad leaves and steamed veggies if desired.
Are you getting sick of making the same meals over and over again, and are totally bored of being in the kitchen? Do you need some fresh inspiration to spice up your repertoire, choosing from breakfast, lunch, dinner, raw and baked sweets, soups, fermented foods, salads, desserts, or anything for that matter? Check out my online membership, the Wicked Healthy Tribe for all the inspiration you need, along with a community of amazing women to support your health & wellbeing goals.