Polenta Chips | Oven Baked | Gluten Free
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 220g fine instant polenta
- 100g finely grated parmesan cheese (or 4 T nutritional yeast flakes if DF)
- 2 T butter (omit if DF)
- 1-2 T fresh herbs, finely chopped (thyme, rosemary or parsley)
- ½ t salt to taste and a good grinding of black pepper
- olive oil or olive oil spray for roasting
- To make the polenta chips, prepare a 20cm square dish or roasting pan by greasing it with oil or lining with a baking sheet. Set aside. If you don’t have a dish this size, any similarly sized square or rectangular dish will work.
- Bring the stock to a rolling boil. Once boiling, drizzle in the polenta in a steady stream, while whisking. Continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in the parmesan cheese (or yeast flakes), butter if using, salt and pepper. Have a taste and add salt if needed (I added a bit more salt).
- Pour the polenta into the prepared dish and smooth out the top with a spatula or spoon. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then cover with cling film directly onto the surface of the polenta and refrigerate until completely set and cold, at least 2 hours.
- It can keep like this in the fridge up to 4 days.
- When ready to cook the chips, preheat oven to 210 C.
- Turn out the block of polenta onto a chopping board and use a large knife to slice it into thick sticks. I like them about 2cm x 10cm, but any size will work, so it is up to you!
- Place the chips on a baking tray or dish lined with baking paper or a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat all sides, or alternatively, spray with olive oil. Arrange them in a single layer on the sheet, sprinkle with a little salt and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- The time may vary slightly depending how big you sliced the chips. Serve with aioli or healthy mayonnaise.