Polenta Chips | Oven Baked | Gluten Free
These polenta chips are a great alternative to potato or kumara chips that are gluten, dairy, nut and egg free. They're baked in the oven and come out crispy and delicious. Great for an afternoon snack or to serve with a meal. If you don't want to serve as chips, you could serve as a creamy mash, or just use the raw polenta as a gluten free coating instead of breadcrumbs.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: Serves 5
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 220g fine instant polenta
- 100g finely grated parmesan cheese (or 4 T nutritional yeast flakes if DF)
- 2 T butter (omit if DF)
- 1-2 T fresh herbs, finely chopped (thyme, rosemary or parsley)
- ½ t salt to taste and a good grinding of black pepper
- olive oil or olive oil spray for roasting
- To make the polenta chips, prepare a 20cm square dish or roasting pan by greasing it with oil or lining with a baking sheet. Set aside. If you don’t have a dish this size, any similarly sized square or rectangular dish will work.
- Bring the stock to a rolling boil. Once boiling, drizzle in the polenta in a steady stream, while whisking. Continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in the parmesan cheese (or yeast flakes), butter if using, salt and pepper. Have a taste and add salt if needed (I added a bit more salt).
- Pour the polenta into the prepared dish and smooth out the top with a spatula or spoon. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then cover with cling film directly onto the surface of the polenta and refrigerate until completely set and cold, at least 2 hours.
- It can keep like this in the fridge up to 4 days.
- When ready to cook the chips, preheat oven to 210 C.
- Turn out the block of polenta onto a chopping board and use a large knife to slice it into thick sticks. I like them about 2cm x 10cm, but any size will work, so it is up to you!
- Place the chips on a baking tray or dish lined with baking paper or a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat all sides, or alternatively, spray with olive oil. Arrange them in a single layer on the sheet, sprinkle with a little salt and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- The time may vary slightly depending how big you sliced the chips. Serve with aioli or healthy mayonnaise.
For more delicious healthy recipes like these polenta chips, browse through the RECIPES section for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or dessert ideas.
Leave A Comment