Orange & Almond Macaroons
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 16 macaroons
- 1 ½ c almond meal
- ½ c ground linseed
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ c coconut sugar, blended to a powder in Nutri-bullet (or use castor sugar)
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature, beaten until soft peaks form
- 1 T orange juice
- slivered almonds for top
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet or baking paper. Mix almonds, linseed, baking powder, sugar and rind together, then add the whipped egg whites and orange juice.
- Scoop about ½ T of mixture and roll into small balls and place on the baking tray, allowing space in between to spread out. Continue with the rest of the mixture.
- Using a damp finger, press a small hollow in the middle of each ball and sprinkle with the slivered almonds. Bake for 12-15 minutes and then cool on a wire rack. Should be slightly soft and chewy inside.