Mexican Mince w Avo + Pita
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Dinner, Family
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 t of each ground spice: cumin, coriander, paprika
- 400gm premium beef mince
- pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, washed and grated
- 2 T tomato paste
- 400gm can of chopped tomatoes
- 390gm can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime, half juiced and half sliced into wedges (or lemon)
- 2 cups of finely sliced lettuce or spinach
- 390gm can of corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- mini wholemeal pita bread (GF if required), toasted or natural, cut in half or into triangles if you wish
- fresh coriander or parsley to serve
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and spices, sauté for about 3 minutes until onion softens. Move to the edge of the pan while you brown the mince.
- Add the mince, salt and pepper. Stir the mince occasionally while allowing it to brown for about 3 minutes.
- Stir the onion into the mince and add carrot, tomato paste and tomatoes.
- Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add a few tablespoons of water if you would like it more saucy.
- Add the red kidney beans, stir and warm through.
- Meanwhile prepare your sides and toppings (lettuce, corn, pita bread, avocado).
- Scoop the flesh out of the avocado into a bowl, add lime juice and whisk with a fork until creamy.
- Serve the mince on the greens, topped with corn, avocado and fresh coriander or parsley, with pita and lime wedges on the side. Season with freshly ground salt and pepper to taste.