Tofu Soba Noodle Salad
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Salad, Vegetarian
- 1 T coconut oil
- 2 T tahini (or peanut butter)
- 2 T boiling water (only use if tahini or peanut butter is thick)
- 2 T pure maple syrup
- 2 T tamari soy sauce
- 2 T lime juice
- 150gm firm tofu, cut into small strips
- 180gm soba noodles
- 2 c spinach leaves, finely sliced
- 1 small red pepper, finely sliced
- ½ cucumber, finely sliced into batons
- 1 small zucchini, spiralised into noodles (or grated)
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- ¼ c fresh mint, finely chopped
- ¼ c fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the soba noodles, cover and once boiling again, turn down to a simmer and cook for 6 minutes. Drain, run under cold water and set aside.
- In a small dish, combine the tahini (or peanut butter) and the boiling water and stir until smooth. Note: This step is only necessary if the tahini or peanut butter is really thick. Add the maple syrup, tamari soy sauce and lime juice and mix together. Add the tofu and spoon over the marinade until evenly coated. Stand for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the salad ingredients, except the lime.
- Melt the coconut oil in a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat. Using tongs, place the tofu strips in the pan and cook on each side until lightly browned and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- Divide the salad ingredients between the plates, place the tofu on the top and evenly drizzle over the marinade. Serve immediately.