Jackfruit Tacos | Gluten-Free
Jackfruit is a fantastic fruit that is used as a substitute for meat for vegetarian dishes. It's hugely versatile, has a great texture that, completely natural and gluten-free. It is a low form of protein though so the addition of black beans adds in the protein to this dish.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 5 Serves
- 2 c red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 c green cabbage, finely chopped
- 10 snow peas, finely sliced
- 15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, cut into small chunks
- ½ c whole kernel corn (or kernels off a cob)
- a handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 t onion flakes
- 1 t sweet paprika
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t dried thyme
- ½ t ground allspice
- ½ t ground cumin
- ¼ t ground cinnamon
- ¼ t nutmeg
- 1 x 540gm can jackfruit in brine or water (see below)
- 400gm can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 T coconut sugar
- 2 T tomato paste
- ¼ c tamari
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- 12 taco shells
- a fresh chilli, finely chopped
- mayo of your choice
- Make the coleslaw by combining everything in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the taco shells according to packet instructions.
- Make the seasoning. Combine all of the spices together in a small bowl.
- Prepare the jackfruit: Drain the canned jackfruit and lightly rinse under water, shaking off excess water. Use your fingers to remove any thick cores and pull the pieces apart so that it resembles shredded pork.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the red onion, and cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic, and ginger and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning and sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add all of the seasoning, stir to coat, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until very fragrant.
- Add the shredded jackfruit, black beans, coconut sugar, tomato paste, tamari, and lime juice. Stir well. If it needs extra liquid, add ½ water and mix again, cover, cook for 10 minutes. It should resemble the consistency and texture of pulled pork.
- Serve the jackfruit with the taco shells and asian slaw, along with your choice of mayo.
This is the Jackfruit I bought from a the supermarket or you can buy it from an Asian food store, just ensure it's in brine or water.
For other delicious recipes that the whole family will enjoy including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or sweet treats, head to the RECIPES section.
If you're enjoying this recipe because you're gluten-free and haven't taken my FUN & QUICK QUIZ to discover how to go from a gluten-free newbie to a healthy gluten-free guru, Click Here, it only takes a couple of minutes and will give you direction and actions on where to start to build your confidence and knowledge around healthy gluten-free eating.
Leave A Comment