Hearty Vegetable & Lentil Soup
In this lentil soup, the divine combination of lentils and vegetables is a perfect combinations for a warming lunch or light dinner. Serve on it's own or with fresh warm crusty wholegrain bread, it's a winner with the whole family. Or double it up and freeze in separate portions for your work lunches.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 5 serves
- 1 T oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 t fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 t cumin powder
- 1 medium carrot, cut into small cubes
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 fresh thyme leaves
- 1 ½ c green lentils, rinsed
- ¼ c tomato paste
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 ½ T lemon juice
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- a good grinding of salt and pepper
To serve, optional
- red chilli, finely chopped
- ⅓ c parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast flakes if dairy free
- To make the Hearty Vegetable & Lentil Soup, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, carrot and celery, stirring for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, lentils, tomato paste and stock, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the juice and Worcestershire sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls, serve topped with parmesan and chilli if desired.
- For more delicious recipes for the whole family, head to the RECIPES section on my website.
- If you enjoy these recipes and other recipes from my website, and would like to be part of an online community receiving a consistent flow of seasonal, quick and easy recipes plus meal plans, join the waitlist for the opening of my next Wicked Healthy Tribe so you're the first to know when the doors open.