Grilled Fennel, Walnut, Lentil & Pomegranate Salad
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 T oil
- 1 large red onion, ½ finely sliced, ½ finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t ginger, finely chopped
- 200g puy (or known as french green) lentils
- 2 T tamari soy sauce
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, cut into 6 wedges
- ½ c walnuts
- ½ c fresh basil, finely chopped
- seeds of ½ pomegranate
- parsley to garnish
- ¾ c natural yoghurt
- 2 T pomegranate molasses
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 T lemon juice
- ¼ t salt
- Heat ½ T oil in a large pot, add the ½ diced onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the puy lentils, soy sauce and enough water to cover by 1 cm. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil and cook for 20-25 minutes until al dente. Carefully drain off any excess liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly toast the walnuts in a small pan over a low heat until slightly brown. Set aside to cool.
- Grill or barbecue the fennel wedges over a medium heat for approximately 10 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining ½ T oil in a small pan, add the sliced onion and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Stir into the lentil mixture.
- For the dressing, whisk together the yoghurt, pomegranate molasses, vinegar, lemon juice and zest, and salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- To serve, place the lentil mixture on the platter first, lay the fennel over the top, scatter with pomegranate seeds, basil and walnuts. Just before serving, pour the dressing over the top and garnish with extra basil or parsley.
Leave A Comment