Getting Started Tips for Going Gluten-Free
Are you new to going gluten-free, or have you been trying for a while and you’re just totally overwhelmed, confused and frustrated? The more and more people I talk to, they feel the effects of gluten but they just don’t know where to start trying to eliminate it, so if you’ve been thinking about giving it a go, I wanted to give you some tips. (Remember, if you need to have a Coeliac test, have the test before removing it).
- If you’ve only got one or two gluten-free eaters in the house, clearly label your gluten food and your gluten-free food so there’s no confusion, and even separate them out in your pantry – have a side designated to your gluten-free ingredients
- Go through your sauces and make sure you don’t have any gluten containing ingredients in them – depending on price, you can put everyone in the house on gluten-free sauces and they won’t know. Some common culprits are Worcestershire sauce, Soy Sauce, Stock, Dressings & flavourings – even Marmite has gluten in it
- Focus on naturally gluten-free foods like fruits, vegetables, unflavoured meats, dairy, eggs, unflavoured nuts & seeds, lentils, chickpeas, beans quinoa, millet, amaranth & rice. These are all naturally gluten-free, and they keep things easy when you’re just transitioning
- Cook from scratch & avoid processed foods – it’s all too easy when you go gluten-free to head to the supermarket and buy the gluten-free packaged foods because you know they’re gluten-free, however they’re still heavily processed, and often very high in sugar and fat. If you created from scratch from home, you know exactly what ingredients are going into your recipes and you can really up the nutrition by adding in loads of naturally gluten-free foods, like veggies and salads
If you’re just starting your gluten-free journey, I’ve got two resources to make it easier for you.
1. Your ‘SWAP & STOCK – Your MUST HAVE Gluten-Free Pantry Guide’ which includes a ‘Swap out Guide for Common Ingredients & a Stock Your Pantry for Success’ checklist. CLICK HERE to download it and get started right away.
2. Your ‘Your Beginner’s Guide to Gluten-Free Shopping’ which includes the basics of what is gluten, and then some simple tips on how to navigate the shops when you’re following a gluten-free diet. CLICK HERE to download it and get started right away.
It’s all about the food so here are my favourite recipes and ideas to get you off on the right track
- Poached or scrambled eggs on gluten-free toast with wilted spinach and quarter of an avocado
- Low sugar gluten-free muesli with unsweetened greek yoghurt, a tablespoon of LSA (ground linseed, sunflower and almonds), a tablespoon of hemp seeds, some blueberries or half an unripe banana and milk or coconut water
- A smoothie with a handful of blueberries, 1/2 banana, a teaspoon of peanut butter, 1 T chia seeds, some greek unsweetened natural yoghurt, 1/4 of an avocado, a few spinach leaves and some milk, coconut water or water
- An omelette loaded with eggs and veggies. See recipe HERE for a super green omelette.
- Leek potato and corn soup, see recipe HERE
- Savoury Vegetable Loaf with a side salad, see recipe HERE
- Edamame Felafel Wraps, see recipe HERE
- Pumpkin, Leek & Chorizo Risotto, see recipe HERE
- Chickpea Burgers w Roasted Cauliflower, see recipe HERE
This is just a very small selection of ideas to get you started.
If you want someone to show you exactly how to do it, how to take all the overwhelm, confusion & frustration out of it, and make your transition simpler and quicker, I’d love to share my short course,
‘Kick the Gluten – Your Economical Roadmap to Going Gluten-Free in 21 Days’
- Know exactly what foods you CAN eat, and what you need to avoid (instead of wasting hours trying to read labels and work it out yourself) 👏
- Have dispelled the concept that gluten-free food is boring, bland – and in fact realised how incredibly tasty it is, using simple everyday ingredients you’ll probably already have in your pantry 😋
- Discover time saving hacks so you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen cooking, or making 2 or 3 meals a night! ⏰
- Learn money saving hacks so you CAN make it more affordable – implement these strategies and it will definitely reduce your budget 💸
- Develop the confidence and knowledge of how to consistently eat HEALTHY gluten-free with recipes, inspiration and support available at your fingertips, via an app 🥒
- Gain the knowledge on how to dine out at friends, family, restaurants & on holiday so you confidently stick up for yourself 🍽
- Have access to over 60+ tried and tested, healthy gluten-free family recipes that you know will work, everyone will love and they will become your family favourites 🥗