Curried Broccoli & Chickpea Salad
This delicious broccoli and chickpea salad recipe is a great combination of fresh ingredients which is super easy to swap out with other seasonal ingredients throughout the year. It's super quick to prepare and a perfect lunch to take on the run or to work that will last up to 5 few days in the fridge. Be prepared so you're not caught out, forcing you to make unhealthy food choices that leave you feeling uncomfortable, bloated and feeling yuk.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 2-3 serves
For the salad:
- 1 head of broccoli, very finely chopped
- 1 c grated carrot
- 400gm can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 c finely chopped spinach
- ½ c dried currants
- ¾ c chopped basil
- ½ c toasted sliced almonds (can also use chopped roasted almonds)
For the dressing:
- ¼ c tahini
- ½ large lemon, juiced
- approx 3 T, enough water to thin dressing
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 - 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 t curry powder
- ½ T freshly grated ginger
- ½ t ground turmeric
- a good grind of salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, add broccoli, spinach, chickpeas, carrot, currants and basil. Set aside.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Immediately drizzle over salad and toss to combine. Sprinkle almonds on top and toss a few more times, saving a few for the garnish. Serve immediately with fresh squeeze of lemon or place in the fridge for later. Salad will keep well up to 5 days.
To make a complete balanced meal, add some cooked chicken, pork, tofu, bacon or egg as your form of protein and bulk it up with additional healthy fats like avocado or other nuts such as walnuts or whole almonds.
- For more healthy recipes and salad ideas, head to my recipes page on my website.