Chocolate Zucchini Brownie
This Chocolate Zucchini Brownie is a perfect way to use up a abundance of zucchini's in your garden. Super simple to make, along with being gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free (if you omit the walnuts), it's a winner for everyone! Perfect to store in the freezer for lunchboxes or just when you need that slight sweet treat that is actually good for you!
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 20 squares
- 1 c grated zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture using a paper towel
- 1 large egg
- ½ c tahini (sesame seed paste)
- ¼ c pure maple syrup
- ⅓ c coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 t vanilla essence
- ½ c cocoa powder (or cacao powder)
- 2 T coconut flour
- ½ c desiccated coconut
- ½ t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- ¼ t salt
- 2 T melted and cooled coconut oil
- ¼ c chocolate chips, dairy free if required
- 2 T cacao nibs, optional
- ½ c chopped walnuts, optional
- sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line an 20 x 20 cm square dish with non-stick baking paper or a baking sheet.
- To make the Chocolate Zucchini Brownie, in a large bowl, add your grated zucchini, making sure it is squeezed of all excess moisture with a paper towel. This is very important.
- Next add in egg, tahini, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla; stir until smooth. Gently stir in cocoa powder into the batter, mixing until well incorporated.
- Next add in coconut flour, desiccated coconut, baking soda, baking powder, salt and finally the melted coconut oil. Stir until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips (and walnuts if you are using).
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with extra sea salt over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached (it should not be completely wet, but a little gooeyness is just fine).
- Allow to cool completely. This will be tough, but it’s the best way to make sure the bars stay together perfectly since they will be moist.
- Store in an airtight container in the cupboard or fridge for 3-4 days or freeze.
!For other delicious recipes that the whole family will enjoy including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or sweet treats, head to the RECIPES section.
If you're enjoying this recipe because you're gluten-free and haven't taken my FUN & QUICK QUIZ yet to discover how to go from a gluten-free newbie to a healthy gluten-free guru, CLICK HERE, it only takes a couple of minutes and will give you direction and actions on where to start to build your confidence and knowledge around healthy gluten-free eating! Let's have a bit of fun! 👏