Chickpea Savoury Pancakes
These delicious chickpea savoury pancakes are a great gluten free alternative for an easy lunch or a light dinner. Add more veggies into the batter to add even more goodness like mushrooms, spinach or grated carrot. Serve with a dollop of hummus on the side or if made bigger, they can be rolled like a wrap with the fillings in the middle.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 6 pancakes
- 1 c chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean or besan)
- ½ t salt
- 1 c water, plus extra if needed
- 1 t cumin powder
- ¼ t garlic powder
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- ½ c red or green pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ c fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 T nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- oil for cooking
- For serving: salsa, avocado, hummus, cashew cream or mayo of your choice
- Add the chickpea flour, salt, water, cumin powder and garlic powder into a bowl using a whisk, stir swiftly to remove lumps. Use the back of a spoon or whisk to press any lumps against the side of the bowl to smooth out.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a heavy based fry pan over medium-high heat with a small amount of oil. Add about ¼ c of batter, swirling to spread around. I find it easier to keep them small rather than one big one as they're easier to flip but play around with the size. Cook the pancake until golden (approx. 2 minutes) and then flip and cook the other side. Remove pancake to a warmed plate and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve with desired extras and fresh coriander. Suitable to freeze once cool.
For other delicious gluten free recipes that the whole family will enjoy, check out the RECIPES section. Everything from breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, sweet treats and desserts.
Hi do you need to precook any vege add ins? Thanks
No Kim, you don’t. They’ll cook slightly in the pancake but otherwise, they’re just tender and delicious. I hope you enjoy!