Cheese & Basil Stuffed Zucchini
These stuffed zucchini are the most delicious and flavoursome way to use up those overgrown marrows that always appear overnight in your garden! Use gluten free breadcrumbs and then they're gluten free. A great summer lunch with a salad or a light dinner.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 2-4 serves
- 1 oversized zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then quartered
- 3 rashers bacon, finely chopped
- a large handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2-3 slices bread, (gluten free if required), crumbled into fresh breadcrumbs
- ¾ c grated cheese
- 1-2 t wholegrain mustard
- a good grinding of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- To make the stuffed zucchini, place the zucchini in a large pot, add plenty of water, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and cook until soft, but not soggy, approximately 10 minutes depending on the size of the zucchini. Drain and set aside to cool.
- While cooling, add all the other ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Once the zucchini are cool enough to handle, using a small spoon, carefully scoop out the flesh (making sure not to go through the shell, leave a thin layer of flesh on the skin) and place in a bowl Drain off any excess liquid (you can use your hands to squeeze it out) and cut up into smaller chunks if necessary. Add to the other ingredients and mix well.
- Place the zucchini shells in a baking dish, making sure they’re quite close together to help keep their shape. Spoon the mixture back into the shells (I really fill them up) and cook for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately with a side salad for lunch or a light dinner.
- For other delicious recipes for the whole family for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts and sweet treats, check out the RECIPES section.
- If you're after other healthy lunch or salad ideas and you haven't already downloaded my 5 Healthy Summer Salads ebook, CLICK HERE to get it in your hot hands and get some new inspiration into your summer salads.
Leave A Comment