Carrot + Corn Fritters w Bacon + Avo
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Dinner, Lunch, Leftovers
Serves: 10 patties
- 3 eggs
- 1 t baking powder (GF if required)
- 2 t sweet paprika
- ½ t salt and a good grinding of black pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced (save a little bit for serving)
- 3 medium carrots, washed and grated
- 410gm can of corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- ¾ C chickpea flour (or regular flour)
- 1 t olive oil (plus extra if needed)
- 8-10 slices of good quality bacon
- Lettuce leaves to serve
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Fresh herbs such as coriander, mint or parsley to serve optional
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, baking powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir in onion, carrot, corn and chickpea flour and mix well to combine. Allow mixture to sit for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large fry pan over a medium heat. Add bacon and cook about 2 minutes each side until it begins to crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if required, otherwise the fat from the bacon should suffice. Reduce the heat to slightly lower than medium (not too hot) so the fritters can cook right through. Put large spoonfuls of fritter mixture into the warm pan and shape them with the back of the spoon.
- Cook the fritters for approx 5 minutes until golden before gently turning and cooking the other side for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the first batch of fritters and set aside while you cook the next batch. You can keep the cooked fritters warm in a low temperature oven if you wish.
- Serve the fritters, bacon and avocado on top of the lettuce leaves with extra red onion and fresh herbs if using. Season with freshly ground salt and black pepper.
- Note: we use the same pan to cook the bacon and fritters as it saves on dishes. You can use two pans and cook them alongside each other at the same time if you prefer.