Carrot & Apple Muffins
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 10 muffins
- ¾ c wholemeal flour
- ½ c spelt flour (or white flour)
- ¼ c coconut sugar
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- 1 c finely grated carrots
- 1 green apple, finely grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ c milk
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted (I use Tanna Farms)
- 1 t vanilla essence
- ½ c walnuts, roughly chopped (omit if nut free)
Gluten free substitutions: Replace wholemeal flour with quinoa flour and spelt flour with almond flour. Add a teaspoon of guar gum.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tray with 10 muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the carrot, apple, eggs, milk, oil and vanilla essence.
- Combine the two bowls together and gently fold together. Fold in the walnuts. Spoon batter into the muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Serve warm with butter or coconut oil.
- Once cold, suitable to freeze.
Note: I highly recommend using Tanna Farms coconut oil for this recipe. To check out their products and to access a 20% discount, head to www.tannafarms.com.vu (it's not hyper linked) and use the code 'wickedoil' on checkout. Enjoy!
For more healthy lunchbox and snack ideas, check out the 21 Day Marvelous Lunchbox Makeover cookbook
[…] Carrot & Apple Muffins Prune, Banana & Walnut Loaf Nut Free Protein Balls Kumara, Lentil & Coconut Soup Healthy Nachos […]