Carrot & Apple Muffins
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 10 muffins
- ¾ c wholemeal flour
- ½ c spelt flour (or white flour)
- ¼ c coconut sugar
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- 1 c finely grated carrots
- 1 green apple, finely grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ c milk
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted (I use Tanna Farms)
- 1 t vanilla essence
- ½ c walnuts, roughly chopped (omit if nut free)
Gluten free substitutions: Replace wholemeal flour with quinoa flour and spelt flour with almond flour. Add a teaspoon of guar gum.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tray with 10 muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the carrot, apple, eggs, milk, oil and vanilla essence.
- Combine the two bowls together and gently fold together. Fold in the walnuts. Spoon batter into the muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Serve warm with butter or coconut oil.
- Once cold, suitable to freeze.
Note: I highly recommend using Tanna Farms coconut oil for this recipe. To check out their products and to access a 20% discount, head to www.tannafarms.com.vu (it's not hyper linked) and use the code 'wickedoil' on checkout. Enjoy!