Black Bean, Lentil & Chilli Soup
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Soup, Dinner
Serves: Serves 4-5
- 1 T coconut oil (I use Tanna Farms)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 t ginger, finely chopped
- 1 chipotle chilli, roughly chopped (optional)
- 400gm can black beans
- ½ c dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 ½ c chicken stock
- 1 t cumin powder
- 1 t oreganum
- 1 t sweet paprika
- ½ t chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- ½ t salt
- a good grinding of black pepper
- dollop of natural yoghurt or sour cream to serve
- fresh coriander, finely chopped to serve
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over a medium heat, add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and ginger and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the chopped chipotle chilli (omit if not using), black beans (undrained), brown lentils and chicken stock, cover and bring to the boil. Turn down to simmer for 30-35 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Add the cumin powder, oreganum, sweet paprika, chilli flakes (if using) and apple cider vinegar.
- Using a stick blender, process until smooth (or you could transfer to a food processor).
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately, with grainy bread and a dollop of natural yoghurt or sour cream on the top, finishing with the chopped coriander.
Note: I highly recommend using Tanna Farms coconut oil for this recipe. To check out their products and to access a 20% discount, head to www.tannafarms.com.vu (it's not hyper linked) and use the code 'wickedoil' on checkout. Enjoy!