Black Bean & Bacon Quesadillas >>
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Main, Beef
- 1 T oil
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 400gm can of black beans, drained and rinsed (or red kidney beans)
- 2 T tomato paste
- ½ c water
- ½ t sea salt
- a good grinding of black pepper
- 1 large carrot, finely grated
- 1 large handful of spinach, finely chopped
- 1 ½ packets of wraps (gluten free if necessary)
- ½ T oil
- approximately 2 c grated cheese (omit if dairy free)
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 avocado, cut into small chunks
- 1 T lime juice
- ¼ c fresh coriander, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 150˚ C (to keep the quesadillas warm while the others are cooking).
- Heat the first quantity of oil in a large pot, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the drained black beans and cook over a low heat for a further five minutes, stirring often.
- While the mixture is cooking, combine all the salsa ingredients together. Set aside.
- To the bean mixture, add the tomato paste, water, salt and pepper and stir until thickened. Using a stick blender or food processor, pulse the mixture until nearly smooth, but still leaving some texture in it. Add more water if the mixture is too thick but it shouldn't be too runny. Finally, add the grated carrot and spinach and heat through.
- To prepare the quesadillas, spread some bean mixture over one tortilla, top with some grated cheese and lace another tortilla on the top.
- Heat the second quantity of oil in a heavy-based frying pan, place the tortilla in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until the bottom has browned. Using a fish slice, carefully flip over and cook for another two minutes. Remove and place in the oven while cooking the others. Serve with the mango salsa on the top.