You’ve probably heard that beans and legumes are a fantastic way to add nutrition into your diet, but you may be wondering, but which beans, there are so many?
Black Beans would have to be one of my favourite beans of all, they’re so versatile and can be used in cakes, slices, fudges (yes, you heard me right!), but they’re also amazing to bulk up any savoury dish.
When it comes to four basic categories of nourishment, black beans are chocka full of fibre, complex carbohydrates, antioxidants and protein – few foods have as solid a nutritional profile as black beans. They are also an excellent low-calorie, low fat source of energy, which will fill you up while at the same time contribute to healthy weight management. They’re also a great source of folic acid, magnesium, potassium and iron.
So all round, they’re an incredibly nutritious ingredient which is super easy to incorporate into your diet.
Here are some fantastic ways to give you some inspiration.
• Add them to your casseroles or stews
• Add them to your nacho mix, along with brown lentils
• Make a black bean brownie instead of a sugar laden brownie
• Instead of using chickpeas, make a black bean hummus
• Make a Raw Black Bean Fudge, which literally take 5 minutes
• Add a variety of beans, including black beans to your favourite mexican dish. Click here for a mild Chilli Con Carne recipe
So, as you can see, due to their versatility and nutritional value, this is a bean that you’ll definitely be wanting to include in your diet!