Bacon & Corn Stuffed Kumara (or Potatoes)
As the cooler evenings approached, these bacon and corn stuffed kumara are perfect comfort food! Economical to make, and full of flavour, they make a really simple meal that everyone will enjoy. Simply serve with a coleslaw and it's a great weeknight meal which can be prepared ahead to save you time.
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Dinner
- 5 medium kumara or a mix of kumara and potatoes, scrubbed
- ¼ c milk
- ½ c sour cream
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 400gm can corn, drained and rinsed
- 5 rashers of streaky bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
- 1 c cheese, grated
- a good grinding of salt and pepper
- paprika to sprinkle over the top
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- To make the stuffed kumara, prick kumara (and potatoes if using) with a fork over the top half and microwave on high for 8 minutes to partially cook, then place in the oven to fully cook and crispen the skins, approximately 30 minutes (alternatively, cook fully in the oven for about an hour), just note, the kumara will cook quicker so remove if cooked first.
- While the kumara (and potatoes if using) are cooking, cook the bacon and prepare the other ingredients.
- Once the kumara/potatoes are cooked, remove and once cool enough to handle, cut a small slice along the top lengthwise and carefully scoop out the flesh using a small spoon, making sure not to pierce through the skin. Place the flesh into a bowl (keep the kumara (if using potoates as well) separate if you wish and distribute ingredients accordingly.
- Combine the flesh, sour cream, milk, corn, spring onions, bacon, ½ the cheese and salt and pepper and mash until creamy – add more milk or sour cream if required for desired consistency. Carefully spoon back into the kumara/potato shells and over fill (you’ll no doubt have some mixture leftover which you can use the following day in pastry). Top with the leftover grated cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- Place back in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes to heat through. In the last couple of minutes, turn the oven onto a high grill to crispen up the top.
- Serve immediately with coleslaw on the side.
For other delicious recipes that the whole family will enjoy including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or sweet treats, head to the RECIPES section.
!If you're enjoying this recipe because you're gluten-free and haven't downloaded my 'Delicious Gluten-Free Day Recipe Guide' yet, grab it now before you forget – enjoy 5 quick and easy nutritious gluten-free recipes, including a breakfast, lunch, dinner, baking, snacks and a delicious dessert! Also includes a baking mix recipe & dairy-free alternatives for all the recipes!