Almond Coconut Slice
This delicious Almond Coconut Slice is the perfect sweet treat with no refined sugar. It's gluten free, dairy free and if you omit the middle layer, it can be nut free too. Have as an afternoon pick me up rather than reaching for the unhealthy chocolate bar.
Author: Wick Nixon
Serves: 15 slices
- ¾ c sunflower seeds
- ¾ c pumpkin seeds
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in boiling for 5 minutes, drained
- ½ c desiccated coconut
- 1 t vanilla paste
- 1 T maple syrup
- ¼ c chocolate protein powder (I used Clean Paleo)
- 3 T coconut oil, melted
Middle layer (if nut free, omit this layer)
- ¼ c almond butter or nut butter of your choice (I used Poppy & Olive)
- 70 gms at least 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Thread coconut
- Line a slice dish or loaf tin with baking paper or a baking sheet. Place all the base layer ingredients in a food processor and process until combined. Press into the prepared dish. Evenly spread the layer of almond butter over the top.
- For the topping, bring a large pot of water to the boil, and then turn down to a simmer. Put the chocolate in a small pot and place on top of the simmering water, ensuring that no water gets into the smaller pot as this will cause the chocolate to separate. Stir until melted. (Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave).
- Evenly spread the chocolate over the top of the almond layer. Finish off with a sprinkling of thread coconut. Place in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set.
- Once set, cut up into bars and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Will keep for several weeks. Suitable to freeze.
For more delicious recipes suitable for the whole family including breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks, browse through all the recipes on my website.
Leave A Comment