Afghan Biscuit Recipe | Healthier
- 200gm butter, softened
- ⅓ c coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ c spelt flour (or normal flour)
- ¼ c cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- ¾ c wholemeal flour
- 4 Weetbix, finely crushed
- 1 c icing sugar
- 1 T cacao or cocoa powder
- 3 very small pieces of butter, about ½ teaspoon
- boiling water or
- melt some 70% dark chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler and spread evenly over the top
- use gluten-free Weetbix
- use 1 ½ c of a homemade or store bought gluten-free baking mix, if it doesn't have guar gum or xanthan gum in it, add ½ t or as a healthier alternative, ½ c quinoa flour and ¾ c gluten-free baking mix
- To make the afghans, preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cream softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Sift in flour and cacao powder , then add wholemeal flour. Lastly add crushed Weetbix and stir until evenly combined.
- Using damp hands, roll into balls and place onto lined baking tray. Press down with a damp fork and bake for 15 minutes or until set. Allow to cool on a wire rack.