Chocolate Orange & Almond Cake
Author: Wick Nixon
Recipe type: Cakes
Serves: 12 pieces
- 3 medium oranges
- 250gm almond meal (I grind my own)
- ½ c honey, melted
- 1 t vanilla essence
- 6 eggs
- 1 t baking powder
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and pith completely removed, cut into thin slices
- ⅓ c sugar free chocolate drops, melted over a double boiler and put into a piping bag
- a dollop of unsweetened natural yoghurt or whipped cream
- Place the oranges in a pot, cover with plenty of water, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours. Alternatively, cook in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.
- Once the oranges are cooked, drain and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, chop them into even rough chunks (skin and all) and remove any seeds that may be present.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C and grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin.
- Place the cooled, chopped orange segments along with the eggs, honey and vanilla into a food processor and blend for a minute until well combined. Add the almond flour and baking powder and blend until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the springform tin and cook for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before releasing it and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Arrange the sliced oranges over the top, and finish off with the drizzled melted chocolate.
- Serve it with unsweetened natural yoghurt or a dollop of whipped cream.